This plugin will add a menu item to your admin bar where you can change your view in the WordPress admin without the need to login with a user that has this role!
If you’ve selected a user, you can also change this user’s preferences; like screen settings on various admin pages. You can also switch to a role or temporarily change your own capabilities.
Through the “Role defaults” module you can set default screen settings for roles and apply them on users through various bulk actions.
Overview / Features
- Switch between user accounts
- Edit this user’s screen preferences and settings
- Switch to a role view
- Temporarily change your own capabilities (non-destructively)
- View your site as an unregistered visitor
- Easily switch back anytime
- Do this all without logging out and easily go back to your own (default) user view!
Module: Role defaults (screen settings)
- Set default screen settings for roles
- Apply defaults to a user
- Apply defaults to all users of a role
- Apply defaults when registering a new user (in a multisite this is done when a user is added to its first blog)
- Import/Export role defaults
- Disable the “screen settings” option and/or lock the meta boxes for all users that don’t have access to this plugin
Compatibility & Integrations
This plugin will work with most other plugins but these are tested:
- Advanced Access Manager (Pro version not verified)
- Genesis Framework (and probably other theme frameworks)
- Pods Framework 2.0+
- Restrict User Access 0.13+ (Custom integration: adds a view type for access levels)
- User Role Editor (Pro version not verified)
- User Switching (Not sure why you’d want this but yes, switch-ception is possible!)
- WPFront User Role Editor
Full list of tested plugins and details: Compatibility & Integrations
I can’t switch back!
See item 3 at FAQ.
It’s not working! / I found a bug!
Please let me know through the support and add a plugins and themes list! 🙂
This plugin will keep your users and data secure, see item 7 at FAQ for more info!
This plugin will only be useful for admins (network super admins or regular admins). It will not add functionalities for other roles unless you specifically apply custom capabilities for those users.
Also keep in mind that switching to users that have equal roles is disabled. (regular admins to regular admins + super admins to super admins)
I’ve created this at first for myself since I’m a developer and often need to see the outcome on roles which my clients use.
So, when you are developing a plugin or theme that does anything with roles or capabilities you can use this plugin to easily check if everything works.
No more hassle of creating test users and constantly logging out and in anymore!
This plugin is also useful to support your clients and/or users. For example; make screen display presets of the edit and overview pages before you let them log in.