You can find the original Top 10 Changes in IIS 7.0 post on Technet.
۱٫ Simple, configurable command line setup
Install only the IIS components needed to run your site
start /w pkgmgr /l:log.etw /iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASP;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-Security;IIS-ClientCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-IISCertificateMappingAuthentication;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMICompatibility;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI
۲٫ Great compatibility story
(We have about 260 applications running on www.microsoft.com as defined by IIS. There are thousands of pages of code that could have broken but did not.)
Integrated Pipeline is the new unified request processing pipeline. Benefits include:
- Allowing services provided by both native and managed modules to apply to all requests, regardless of handler. For example, managed Forms Authentication can be used for all content, including ASP pages, CGIs, and static files.
- Empowering ASP.NET components to provide functionality that was previously unavailable to them due to their placement in the server pipeline. For example, a managed module providing request rewriting functionality can rewrite the request prior to any server processing, including authentication, takes place.
- A single place to implement, configure, monitor and support server features. For example, single module and handler mapping configuration, single custom errors configuration, single URL authorization configuration.
Classic ASP mode allows for easy app migration
Use AppCmd to migrate apps to Integrated mode
- Allows you the run old ADSI scripts
- IIS 6.0 Metabase Compatibility module must be installed
۳٫ No more metabase!
- Clean clear-text schema
IIS settings stored in XML configuration file (applicationHost.config)
- Metabase exists for SMTP/NNTP/FTP only
- Update central applicationHost.config and copy to all web servers
- Replaces our bulky ADSI based script solution for metabase changes
- Be careful copying to production servers under load. (When you push out a new applicationHost.config, your app pools and applications will be recycled. If you are heavily dependent on caching, then you could cause problems in your environment as the CLR reloads.)
۴٫ Centralized configuration
- applicationHost.config stored on UNC share
- Allows us to copy to two (maybe four) servers rather than 80
Potential issue – managing password changes for account used to connect to config store. (This is because currently you cannot use the UNC share that is running under the Network service, which we use heavily. It currently requires a domain account, which our security policy mandates a periodic password change.)
۵٫ Delegated configuration
For more information, see Delegated Configuration .
۶٫ AppCmd and other new management options
۷٫ Failed request tracing
For more information, see Failed Request Tracing.
۸٫ Request filtering
۹٫ UNC content
۱۰٫ Output caching of dynamic content
Not appropriate for all applications (e.g., not effective for those with very personalized output)