Plugin that utilizes ip-api to get geolocation coordinates based on the end-users’ IP address
Want to see the plugin in action?
You can view two example sites where this plugin is live :
- Cookie session established with IP address and latitude / longitude coordinates of the end-user browsing the site
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/shif8-geoipdirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress
- Navigate to the plugin settings page and define your settings
- Once enabled, the system should trigger for every site visit.
- I tested it on myself and its not working for me!
Try clearing all cookies and re-visit the website. Then examine the cookies set by the website in your browser. The cookie name should be “shift8_geoip”.
“Shift8 GEO IP Location” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.
- Switched from stored session variable to encrypted cookie using wp_salt function. This is to easily allow development options to read and process the cookie data