Lead Software Engineer – WordPress
We are looking for a creative and passionate Lead Software Engineer to shape the future of our Global Content Management System (CMS). You’ll be part of a growing technology team where everyone has the opportunity to create and advance new ideas and to shape the future of our company by building game-changing software. Our engineers play a critical role in all stages of the product lifecycle, so we look for people who crave ownership, enjoy solving the hard problems and have the initiative to fix things that aren’t working.
– As part of a cross-functional software team, be a critical part of the effort to create a new world-class WordPress stack that will power our digital properties. The effort includes developing the appropriate architectural approach, working with the News team on the evaluation of various WordPress plugins, developing our own plugins where needed and interfacing WordPress with the myriad of systems required to produce our market-leading products. Note: Dow Jones will only be using the author/editing portion of WordPress and will not be using the Render portion so Theme development experience is not necessarily helpful.
– Participate and lead technical discussions about technology, infrastructure and consider the pros/cons of a technology choice based on business value, scalability, maintainability and project delivery performance.
– Support Dow Jones technical and cultural values and drive toward solutions independently, seeking feedback when appropriate.
– Maintain and share knowledge in emerging technologies and tools in the industry.
– Be able to prioritize and manage work, and adhere to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
– Extensive experience (5+ years) with WordPress including experience extending and customizing the WordPress Administration Dashboard, developing plugins for wp-admin, and building highly performant and reliable interfaces with other systems.
– Knowledge of the new WordPress Gutenberg editor.
– Experience with node.js, React and Redux and a willingness to move to these technologies as WordPress evolves.
– Experience with SQL databases, experience with MySQL a plus.
– Proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals including web development, service-oriented architecture, cloud computing, test driven development and domain driven design.
– BS/MS in Computer Science.
– Exposure to Docker, AWS or other cloud or container based application deployment is a plus.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 130 years and today has one of the world’s largest newsgathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource. Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .