Included under CGI Scripts in your HostRocket Control Panel is a link to details on a very simple guestbook script which is preinstalled on our servers in the global cgi-sys directory. This Perl script is easy to configure and is available on all accounts to create a basic guestbook for visitors to view and sign.
Configuring the Preinstalled Guestbook
The following is an example of the guestbook setup information and controls as you will find in under CGI Scripts > Guestbook in your Control Panel:
(1) Use the "Edit Guestbook Template" link to customize the appearance of your guestbook. You can add HTML code to customize the font, add a background image, add links back to your site and so forth. You can setup the page in any way you want adding header and footer details above and below your actual guestbook entries, which will be inserted where you see the following code:
(2) The HTML code at the bottom of the Simple Guestbook page in your Control Panel is already preconfigured for your account's guestbook. Simply copy the complete text as is and paste it as source code into one of the pages on your site (any page, you can add it to an existing page or create a new page just for the guestbook, ex: guestbook.html).
(3) In the illustration above  displays how your "sign my guestbook" form will appear on your page. You can feel free to customize the appearance of the form page in any way you wish (custom font, font color, background etc), just make sure not to modify the actual form tags.
(4) If you wish on the same page as your "sign my guestbook" form you can include a "View Guestbook" link pointing to the same URL referenced in the View Guestbook link on your Simple Guestbook page. This URL will be as follows where "yourdomain" is your actual domain name and "userid" is your HostRocket user name:
(5) The "Manage Guest Book" link on your Simple Guestbook page can be used to administer the guestbook by removing any unwanted posts.
Things To Note
- The page containing the form code is the only one you have to create or manually edit yourself, everything else can be done via the links on the Simple Guestbook page in your HostRocket Control Panel.
- Be aware that you will not find the guestbook.cgi script located under your account, nor will you see a "cgi-sys" folder. This is a server wide alias to a single script which is available globally on all accounts.
- The database file in which your actual guestbook entries are stored is a file named .guestbook which is stored in your root folder (the top level directory above public_html)
- The guestbook template is a file named default which is stored in the .htmltemplates folder within your account's root directory.