Cornershop Creative (https://cornershopcreative.com) is seeking an awesome, U.S.-based backend developer to join our distributed team. This will be a short-term, full-time 4-6 month engagement to help with specific projects. (We hope this will turn into a permanent full-time position, but we can’t guarantee that at the moment.)
The core responsibility for this position will be building custom API integrations and scripting data migrations for WordPress-based websites and applications for our non-profit and small business clients. Tasks may include setting up WordPress custom post types, fields and taxonomies; troubleshooting server errors and migrating sites to different hosts; integrating WordPress data with third-party tools like SalesForce and Blackbaud products; and creating scripts to migrate data from other CMSes and data structures to WordPress. Additionally, this position may be responsible for developing and maintaining custom WordPress plugins.
Our ideal candidate is a hard-working, curious troubleshooter comfortable working independently with little supervision who also enjoys working as part of a team that includes developers and non-developers. Since we’re a distributed shop, you’ll get to work from home! Cool, right?
Some Things You’ll Need to be Comfortable With:
- Making WordPress sync data with common (and not so common) third-party REST & SOAP APIs
- Crafting ingenious scripts to migrate datasets from outside systems, such as other CMSes, into WordPress, even when their character encoding isn’t what you want it to be
- WordPress theming, including the template hierarchy, hooks, WP_Query, etc.
- Finding existing libraries, plugins or other internal/external solutions to solve programming challenges, rather than reinventing the wheel
- Deploying websites onto production hosts via git, rsync (and maybe sometimes sFTP), configuring caching, updating DNS records, and associated launch tasks
- Quickly and effectively maintaining/troubleshooting/supporting code written by other developers
- Command line tools like git, gulp, and wp-cli
- Laughing at our stupid jokes (and the occasional good one)
- Performing basic devops/Linux sysadmin tasks like writing bash scripts, configuring web or database servers, and figuring out why the “uploads don’t work!”
- Troubleshooting MySQL performance issues (and writing performant queries)
- Working in a fast-paced environment (we keep pretty busy!) and managing a workload of several projects at a time
- Utilizing superb written and oral communication skills
Other stuff we’d love it if you’re good at, but aren’t requirements:
- Working with and customizing Buddy/bbPress and WooCommerce
- Drafting functional requirements that specify the appropriate technologies, techniques and architectures necessary to bring needed features to life
- Working with other developers to implement the aforementioned plans
- Not losing your s#!% when you occasionally get feedback like “Nevermind. We actually need that field that we told you not to migrate” (and then getting asked to change it back), which may happen despite our best efforts
- Working with nonprofit CRM tools such as Salsa, Luminate Online, Engaging Networks, and Salesforce
- Remembering to un-mute yourself before talking on conference calls
- Being passionate about progressive causes
- Writing custom CSS/SASS for cross-browser, responsive design (not just by using Bootstrap)
- Configuring and/or maintaining AWS environments for hosting PHP-based websites and applications
- Mucking around with Laravel
Cornershop Creative is an award-winning online services agency committed to listening carefully to our non-profit and small business clients and helping them achieve their goals. Our designs are beautiful, and our websites are creative and innovative. Learn more about us at https://cornershopcreative.com/.
To apply, send an email to email@example.com with the following:
- Your résumé, which should include an indication of which American state you live and work in
- A brief cover letter, explaining why you’re excited about this opportunity
- Links to work you’ve done that we should see, such as recent websites, git repos, or contributed plugins/modules/themes
- Ideal hourly rate
U.S. Applicants only!
Please be sure to include all of these items — to save everyone valuable time we’ll throw out incomplete applications. Thanks for understanding.
Cornershop is an equal opportunity employer.