As a content marketer you create content for:
- a buyer persona (aka customer avatar),
- at stage of your marketing funnel (ex. Awareness, Consideration, Decision, Retention etc.), and
- in a format that appeals to the persona (ex. Article, Infographic, Podcast, Video, Ebook etc.)
By default Google Analytics Content Reports show you interaction data on all your pages. What it doesn’t show you is interaction data by persona, funnel stage or content format.
The Google Analytics for Content Marketers plugin solves this problem.
How does it work?
With the Google Analytics for Content Marketers plugin you can classify your posts and pages by persona, funnel stage and content format.
When a post or page is visited, this classification data is mapped on to a Content Group in Google Analytics.
With this data, you can now see interaction data by persona, funnel stage or content format.
How to setup the plugin?
Step#1: Google Analytics Setup
In ‘Admin > View > Content Grouping’ (immediately below Goals), create the following content groups (screenshot-3.png).
- Persona (Index: 1)
- Funnel Stage (Index: 2)
- Content Format (Index: 3)
For each of the above content groups, ‘Enable tracking Code’ and set the index as given above (screenshot-4.png).
Step#2: Plugin setup
- Install the plugin.
- In ‘Settings > Google Analytics for Content Marketers’ save your Google Analytics ‘Tracking ID’ and configure other plugin options as needed (screenshot-1.png).
- When adding or editing, you can now classify your post or page by persona, funnel stage and content format using the ‘Content Groups’ meta box (screenshot-2.png).
How to view the reports?
- In Google Analytics, go to ‘Behavior > Site Content > All Pages’.
- Select a content grouping as your primary dimension. (screenshot-5.png)
- See the magic.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Upload the entire ‘ga-for-content-marketers’ folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Do I need a Google Analytics account to use this plugin?
Yes. Go to the Google Analytics website and sign in to your account to get started.
- Does this plugin work with Google Tag Manager?
Not yet. I plan to add Google Tag Manager support in future.
- Where can I find my Google Analytics Tracking ID?
- In your Google Analytics account, go to ‘Admin > Account’.
- Select or create a new property from the dropdown.
- Click on ‘Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Tracking Code’ to see your Tracking ID.
- I don’t see the Content Groups in the Content Groupings primary dimension. Why?
You’ll first need to create the content groups in ‘Admin > View > Content Grouping’ (screenshot-3.png).
- I see *'(not set)’* when I select a content grouping for persona, funnel stage or content format. Why?
You’ll need to first classify your posts and pages by persona, funnel stage and content group and setup the Google Analytics Tracking ID to start seeing the correct data.
Also your old Google Analytics data still exists and will continue to show as ‘(not set)’.
“Google Analytics For Content Marketers” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.